06 July 2011

Parenting through Aspergers

I have Asperger's Syndrome. It's nothing to write home about, much. I don't have it so severely, either, as some folks I've known, but I have Aspergers' Syndrome. I'd never heard of it until a few years ago, and I don't think it even registered, then. But my wife heard it: a family friend thought aloud that I had it (she works with "special needs" students) and a while later, my wife remembered hearing it and called my attention to it. She looked it up and said "Honey, come here." So many of the symptoms lined up with what we knew. I'd always been different. I learned in gradeschool that I was wierd. Now even the symptoms I'd thought little of were falling into place, and so many other things were explained. I was not quite convinced until I read Tony Attwood's "Complete Guide to Asperger's Syndrome". Nothing else really lined everything up like that. I've never been Formally Diagnosed by a licensed shrink, but there is no doubt in my mind. I am an Aspie.

We had been married about six months when we found out. Attwood's book notes that the syndrome is usually hereditary. We were already expecting our first child. He is now two years old.

2 comments:

  1. Did your child turn out to be on the autistic spectrum?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, he did. (I'm sorry for the delay--I've neglected this blog almost as much as MySpace. Remember Myspace? Neither do the rest of us.) See the latest post.

    ReplyDelete

I have no idea what this guy's talking about. Who comes up with this schtick anyway?